Wednesday, June 4, 2008

some older work. i'm trying to get my online world organized for graduation, jobs, applications, etc. I also wanted to talk about some amazing artists I had the pleasure to check out tonight at MOCA Jacksonville. 
the first, Chris Natrop. http://www.chrisnatrop.com, he does these fantastic cut paper installations of abstract organic forms. huge pieces that really transform the room. totally awesome. 
the second, John Bailly. http://www.johnbailly.com, who does some really great oil paintings. many are abstract with some use of stencils, but others are more refined. I'm drawn to the use of type, contour drawings of faces and heads, the overall composition of his smaller works on watercolor paper are really fascinating. There wasn't a single piece in the show I wasn't drawn to or didn't find aesthetically pleasing or inspired by. 

my goal this summer is to find new artists every week that I'm drawn to and inspired by. I've become so inspired by natrop's work, that I'm experimenting with some cut paper tonight. 

No comments: